Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sermon

I'm preaching at Pilgrims - the interconfessional worship service for Youth to Jesus students - next Thursday. Here is my sermon. Please keep me in your prayers as this will be my first long-ish sermon with translation.


John 21:1-19 (New International Version)

1Afterward Jesus appeared again to his disciples, by the Sea of Tiberias.[a] It happened this way: 2Simon Peter, Thomas (called Didymus), Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two other disciples were together. 3"I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We'll go with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.
4Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus.
5He called out to them, "Friends, haven't you any fish?"
"No," they answered.
6He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.
7Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, "It is the Lord," he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water. 8The other disciples followed in the boat, towing the net full of fish, for they were not far from shore, about a hundred yards.[b] 9When they landed, they saw a fire of burning coals there with fish on it, and some bread.
10Jesus said to them, "Bring some of the fish you have just caught."
11Simon Peter climbed aboard and dragged the net ashore. It was full of large fish, 153, but even with so many the net was not torn.12Jesus said to them, "Come and have breakfast." None of the disciples dared ask him, "Who are you?" They knew it was the Lord.13Jesus came, took the bread and gave it to them, and did the same with the fish. 14This was now the third time Jesus appeared to his disciples after he was raised from the dead.
Jesus Reinstates Peter
15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
16Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."
17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. 18 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." 19Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!"



Sometimes in life we don’t know what we should do next. Maybe we have finished university and we’re wondering what is next. Perhaps we are unemployed and there aren’t a lot of jobs open at the moment. Sometimes we just don’t know what our next step in life should be. We have a “what’s next” moment.

The disciples found themselves in just such a situation. Three years ago they left behind their families, friends, and careers to follow a wandering teacher named Jesus. For 3 years they followed him around and learned from him. They asked questions, they listened as wise scholars asked questions, and they watched as Jesus interacted with people.

Jesus didn’t pick favorites. He spent time with everyone. He talked with wealthy, corrupt politicians and he talked with homeless cripples as though he really believed that all people were equal. He healed people from all walks of life and performed many miracles. He turned water into wine and he turned the dead into the living.

The disciples listened as he preached, told stories, and confused the religious elite. They watched as he broke the rules and interacted with people who deserved to be left alone – children, women, ethnic minorities, and the unclean.

They sat confused as he explained that he would be betrayed and killed on a cross.

They betrayed as the guards came for Jesus.

They ran and hid as Jesus of Nazareth, their teacher, was hung on a cross to die.

They shut out the light while they mourned the death of their great leader.

They didn’t believe when the women came with the good news; “He is risen!”

They rejoiced when they saw Jesus the Christ alive from the dead again!


And after this whirlwind of emotion – they … didn’t … really know WHAT to do. They stuck together. They probably spent days talking about the recent events.
“Did you see the scars in his hands and side?” “Can you believe it really happened RIGHT in front of OUR eyes?” But, as time dragged on – they weren’t sure what to do next.

So Peter, always the leader, makes the first move. He decides to go back to his career as a fisherman.

It’s like the emotion on a Monday after a great weekend. Wow! That was great. Now it’s time for work again.  The other disciples decide to join him.

The disciples have a “what’s next moment.” All this amazing stuff has happened in their lives … now what? What do they do now that the mountain top experience is over.

Sometimes in our Christian lives we find ourselves in this situation.

I met Jesus at summer camp when I was 11 years old. I had never been camping before, and I was excited to finally be old enough to go to the same Christian camp my sister had always gone to. I had so much fun at camp. I got to meet new people, breathe fresh air, and spend time with friends. But on Thursday night a woman got up to speak about the Christian faith. I hung on her every word as she told the story of Jesus. I could feel the tug on my heart as she explained that each person needed a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I knew I had experienced God’s love through the people around me and that I wanted to give my heart to Jesus. I went forward and prayed at the altar and decided to give my heart to God and become a follower of Jesus Christ.

I had an amazing experiences – we call them “mountaintop experiences” – where I was lifted up so much that I thought I could fly. And then I got home from camp and I just thought, “What next?”

What do I DO with my Christian faith?




My brother-in-law has a big Jeep. He and my sister love to go “mudding.” They drive his Jeep around after big rainstorms with the intent of getting everything as muddy as possible. One spring, not too long ago, Mike and Rebecca went mudding after a huge rainstorm. They went up one hill and then down another. They splashed through puddles and got Mike’s Jeep incredibly muddy. Then Mike saw a huge mud puddle. So – he decided to drive right through it.

Show picture.

Mike got stuck – and his engine flooded with mud. Of course the engine would need to be completely re-built. But, what do you think was his first reaction after the engine came to a grinding hault? He turned the key to see if it would turn back on. After this huge event – like all of us – he tried to go back to normal.

After I became a Christian I tried to turn the key in the ignition. I tried to see if I could live my life exactly like I had been living it before; Same friends, same habits, same thoughts – but somehow Christian because of the decision I had made.

My life was about as successful as my brother-in-law trying to turn the key after getting in the mud puddle.

It didn’t work.

It won’t work.

It will never work.

The disciples had the same idea when they had their “what’s next moment.” After all that had happened - the death, resurrection, and sightings of Jesus – their reaction was to go back to life and try to live exactly the same way. They tried to make all of the decisions on their own. After 3 years of following Jesus – 3 years of having Jesus sit in the control seat – they decided it was their turn.

Jesus met them on the beach for breakfast that morning with a hard question?

Who is in control of your life? Who sits in the chair and makes all the decisions?



The Youth to Jesus drama team will perform this skit - in Ukrainian of course.


This story continues with Jesus talking to Peter. While most of the disciples ran and hid when Jesus was crucified – Peter went to the extreme.
Peter betrayed more than anyone else. Although he had promised Jesus that he would never betray Him; Peter found himself in the unenviable position of betraying Jesus – out loud, to a number of people, using foul language – not once, but three times. While Peter desperately wanted to give Jesus the chair – he just couldn’t let it go. He was willing to go to any length to get it back.

So, in today’s scripture we see Jesus talking with Peter. Not scolding him for his failure. Not talking AT him for his mistakes. But talking with Peter.

While sharing a meal with Peter, Jesus asks him “Do you love me?”
Peter sees his chance at redemption and answers,” Yes! Yes!” He was willing to follow Jesus – that he loved Jesus.
Then Jesus did it again. And a third time.

Jesus offered Peter three chances for redemption – Jesus gave Peter the opportunity to make up for each time that he had betrayed his Lord.
And while Peter was finding forgiveness for his betrayals – God was giving Peter a calling for his life.

Feed my sheep. Work with my followers, teach them my ways, preach the good news to them, show them how to live out the faith. Feed my sheep.
When we give God control of our lives – the “what’s next” question is a lot easier. Feed my sheep! “Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you and surely I am with you always – even to the ends of the earth.” (Matthew 28)

Jesus had told these men that they would no longer be catching fish, but that they would be fishers of men.

There’s an interesting hidden meaning in part of this passage. The fishermen, after following Jesus’ directions, pull in a catch too large to fit inside the boat. Large enough that it should have broken the nets – but it didn’t. 153 fish exactly. Now, it’s more than a little strange to write an exact number of fish caught, don’t you think? Unless that number means something. And it does. 153 is the exact number of known nations at the time of this event.

You will be fisher’s of men … go and make disciples of all nations …
And they did.

Following their “what’s next” moment, the disciples gave Jesus the chair and took up the call to be fisher’s of men for all nations – and 10 out of the 11 faithful disciples ended up giving their lives in this calling.

Jesus is ready to sit in the chair in your life; He has a plan for your life to send you out to go and make disciples – in this student center, in L’viv, and maybe in the furthest corners of the world – but Jesus will not force his plan on you. You have to be willing to give him the chair.

In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments: