Wednesday, October 06, 2010

The Old

I'm working on a sermon based around two stories found in the Old Testament. Oddly enough, this will be my first Old Testament based sermon.

I've always had a rather tenuous relationship with the Old Book.

My first encounter with picking up a Bible and reading was the book of Esther. It was short and I knew my grandmother wouldn't be happy until I had read the entire book. I read it in one sitting ... probably when I was 6. I made Grandma explain what gallows were - even though I knew. I remember asking Grandma why they killed Haman ... AND HIS FAMILY!!! I had a nightmare that night about the gallows.

When I began to read the scriptures in earnest I was bored stiff throughout most of the Old Testament. There are many begotten and begetters in the first few books. Ultimately, the rules bogged down my mind as they have done to countless people. I didn't see the salvation of the people within the framework of their safety and security as described in the laws. I missed the constant re-direction of God from the prophets. I saw stale rules and long-dead bearded men pontificating snoozily.

In the sermon I'm writing now, I will speak of God as The One who met Moses in the desert in the burning bush. As the God who took Elijah (Elisha? Fact checking comes later!) up in a chariot of fire. And I will ask a lot of questions. Namely, "Where's my burning bush?" "Where's my chariot of fire?"

1 comment:

RAMiller said...

So this is what we discussed last night in Bible study. We talked about Moses' mountaintop experience. We talked about realizing our own experiences like this and how to keep that feeling alive all the time.

I talked about when the holy spirit moved in me and I asked Jesus Christ to be my Savior. I know what that feels like to be coming down off the mountain so excited to share the Word with the world and then to be faced with a golden calf being worshipped right in front of your eyes by those closest to you.

I know there's a lot to the OT, but as Tom Kibbie noted last night, "The OT is where Jesus is concealed and the NT is where Jesus is revealed."