Monday, January 17, 2011

Light of the World

This Thursday we are going to have a drama performed. This sermon will be in response to that drama.

The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has never put it out.

Amen.

Over the weekend I visited the museum at Auschwitz. This was the site of the largest Nazi concentration camps. More than a million people were murdered there. It was really overwhelming more than anything else. I kept wanting to change the subject in my head, to push out the bad. I kept turning to the song that we sing at Pilgrims so often. In my head I would start singing, "Oh, how he loves us..." but then my inner voice would scream, "Stop!" "Don't love us ... look at how evil we are! Look at what we are capable of doing! Why would you ever love us?"

And my sins aren't that great either. While I've never masterminded the genocide of a people, I have messed up the lives of others in fairly substantial ways. I've hurt other people and felt no sympathy. I have committed terrible sins. My sins are great, but my savior is greater.

My pastor told this story once. He knew a man who was very strict and severe. The man was very conservative and was very strict with his daughters. They weren't allowed to date until they were 18. When his youngest daughter was in college she got knocked up.

He immediately disowned her and vowed that he would never speak to her again. But nine months later the baby was born and his wife was able to convince him to see the new baby. She was certain that if he could just see the little bundle of joy that all would be forgiven.

The day came and his daughter walked into the house with the baby in her arms. The man took the baby in his own arms and sat down in his chair. He held the baby in his arms and began to cry.

He stood back up and he handed the baby back to its mother. He said, "I never want to see you or this baby again."

These last few weeks we have celebrated the birth of Jesus - we have enjoyed the traditions of our Christian faith. We have looked the Holy Baby in the face - and now we must make the decision. Do we want him to be a part of our lives? Or will we reject him? We can't just pretend that everything is okay. We can't say that we like the idea of the baby but that we like our lives they way they are. If we want Christ to have a part in our lives, we must be ready to give him all of our lives.


It's during these times that we are most likely to lose our focus and our connection. It's a dark time right now for many of us. We're busy studying and we have so many things to do. It's hard to balance finals and holidays and the people we love. It's harder to make Christ the center for all of that time. I know that this upcoming week is going to be especially challenging for many of you. I love nothing more than an extra challenge! Around this room there are sign up sheets. We are going to have a busy-persons' retreat this week.

This will be a time for us to gather together, to relax, to calm down, and to re-energize our souls. We will focus on the beatitudes. There are five options - and I want everyone to choose at least one of these options. They are each offered on different days and at different times. I want everyone to set aside one extra hour this week to focus on God and what God has in store for our lives.

The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has never put it out.

No comments: