Wednesday, June 06, 2012

My uncle encouraged me to invest in the stock market when I was a teenager.  It was one of those things I never got around to.  In college I finally found the time to invest a few dollars in the stock market.  Uncle Randy had explained the process and pitfalls and I felt amazingly comfortable with the idea.

Over the years I've just kept plugging away at investing money - and I'm really proud of the commitment it has  taken to continue investing.  I have invested a few dollars even while unemployed.  I've just put it down in my head that investing is buying a slice of tomorrow, today.  

"Ask the questions that have no answers.
Invest in the millenium. Plant sequoias.
Say that your main crop is the forest
that you did not plant,
that you will not live to harvest.
Say that the leaves are harvested
when they have rotted into the mold.
Call that profit. Prophesy such returns." 


This poem by Wendell Berry always makes me think - these verses are especially poignant for me.   


I'm working with church planters these days - and people who are working to revive congregations that have become tiny.  I love people who are called to this.  They invest their lives in something so intangibly great.  They invest in something that they will never fully see come to fruition.  Most people will never understand what they are doing. 


In America we build new church buildings in new suburbs.  I hate being so blunt, but this is the reality of many successful new church starts.  We desperately need pastors assigned to rural areas, inner-city missions, and struggling communities - as church planters.  


We need churches to be planted - churches that have sprouted from the enthusiasm of new, young believers.


One of the hardest parts of my job is encouraging pastors to keep plugging away.  As a consultant, co-worker, and friend they hope that I can come with some magic bullet.  As an American they hope that my English language speaking tongue will wag blessing on their ministry and it will magically sprout.  This is not reality.  


The advice is constantly give is simple, common sense advice.  Set a scheduled time for the service and have it at the same time every week.  Spend time with church members and prospective church members.  Think about the felt needs of the community and figure out ways for the church plant to meet those needs.  Pray more.  Make the service better in some way every week.  Build events into the worship calendar that are worth advertising.


I haven't sold a single stock yet.  I have friends who do day-trading and lose vast sums of money.  I haven't lost a dime yet in the stock-market.  In fact, I've done rather well for myself.  I've bought at least a couple of weeks of future already!  The key is that I'm in the stock market for the long haul.  I invest as much as I can and I let it do the work that it does.  I check my stocks about once a month and no more often than that.  I don't panic with daily fluctuations of the stock market.


This isn't a direct comparison - business and church are very different.  But I try and keep these ideas in my head as I work with new church planters.  Every day, every dollar matters - we don't look for what will give the most bang for the buck - but for what will leave our grandchildren in the best position.  


No comments: