Tuesday, April 29, 2008

From Bishop Bickerton's Blog about General Conference:

Yesterday I had an amazing opportunity to address the General Conference concerning the “Nothing but Nets” campaign. It was World Malaria Day. As a part of that address I walked into the aisle and invited the delegates to consider what it might look like if they bought bed nets during that session. In a spontaneous movement of the body, delegate after delegate came to the center table and placed their offerings in support of the campaign. Those gifts are now up to $14, 750 among the 1,000 delegates and hundreds of visitors!

Yet, shortly after that presentation, I was approached by someone in the office whose first words to me were, “You know, you just broke the rules of the General Conference and threw the financial people into a mad frenzy to collect and count the money.” He was serious. My reply was simple, “The affirmation of this body speaks for itself. In just a few moments we just saved 1,450 children’s lives in Africa. I’ll disrupt this General Conference every day if I can get that kind of response.”

We are a church that is often more concerned with rules and regulations that make us feel comfortable with predictability. We are a church that emotionally desires the leading of the spirit, but practically cannot find a way to just “let it happen.” - Bishop Thomas J. Bickerton

No comments: