Thursday, March 12, 2009

Theological Thoughts for Thursday

"Don't throw your life away on the American dream of retirement. Live dangerously for the One who loved you and died for you in his thirties." - John Piper


I don't find many parallels between the theology of John Piper and the theology of Michael Airgood. But this is one, I wholeheartedly agree that Christians must stop falling for the lie of the American dream.

I keep a box filled with pictures of friends and family, mementos of good times, quotes about the missionary life, and a prayer from the onetruth.com site. The prayer is:

"Well, God, if I live a few years on this earth and have to give up 'comfort' it's ok. And if I cant' get to always feel like I'm in charge or even that I know what I'm doing, I'm ok. And if I get persecuted for being who you call me to be, and people get downright nasty, it's ok. And if I never get to live out the "American Dream" and have an impeccable wife, and impeccable house, an impeccable minivan, and impeccable kids, I'm ok. And if I sped my whole life in weird shadows in unglamorous places and never really get recognized, it's ok. If I don't do the traditional 'ministry' and fit into a typical position, it's ok.

But God, please be with me..."

This prayer holds so much truth for my life. I know that God might not call me to a life of comfort and privilege.

I live my life in the glorious truth that God might call me to the gutters of the world and that I would go in a heartbeat. That the next apartment God has planned for me might not have a stove or a private bathroom.

That I may never have a retirement home on the lake. That God is in control.

No comments: