Saturday, August 14, 2010

Easy

I would like to start out by saying that I think Jon Stewart is a very funny man. The Daily Show is my greatest source of news (this is true for many people of my generation).

Recently he said this, "Being a Methodist is easy. It’s like the The University of Phoenix of religions: you just send them 50 bucks and click “I agree” and you are saved.”

Now, luckily, I'm a United Methodist so I'm allowed to have a sense of humor. I find this quote very funny. Just like everything else he says.

Just because it hurts doesn't mean it's not funny.

Maybe we've made it too easy to be a United Methodist. Maybe the criticism is accurate. Of any denomination, we're the least likely to take a strong dramatic stance on a hot button issue. Some might consider this a bad thing. But I think it's a good thing. >> Our decades of social justice work have accomplished pretty much every goal we all agreed on. The hot button issues we face today are fringe issues on which the Bible is not incredibly clear.

We believe strongly that God loves all peoples. Even people on the other side of the aisle. We count Hillary Clinton and George W. Bush as members. Dick Cheney is a member, too - and we are a church where both of his daughters would feel comfortable worshiping with their families - traditional or not.

We are a church that believes that God is not always black and white. And we can join hands and rejoice that some of our theology is in a state of gray. A polarized society might find this a huge detractor of the level of our faithfulness; but as a community of Christ followers who vow to live in the tension of the mystery of Christ, I can't imagine any theology being more faithful to God.

I think that religion should be easy. After one of my friends had been proposed to, I asked if saying yes was a hard decision. She said it was the easiest decision she had ever made. I think that religion should be easy.

Jon Stewart's statement is a little ironic, because in the same news cycle, Jon Stewart could have reported on Dan Terry, a United Methodist who found it easy to give his life for the cause of Christ, who died in Afghanistan during a medical aid mission.

Is it easy to be a United Methodist?

You bet. It's the kind of decision, the sort of religion that defines everything else you ever do. It makes every choice you'll ever make easier.

Thank you Mr. Stewart - we'll take your comments into consideration at our next General Conference. I'd nominate you to be a speaker, even! Well, as long as you've checked the box and sent in your check.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I interpreted his comments in a different way. I took it to mean that, as United Methodists, once we become members, not much else is expected of us. That, however, doesn't make his comment any less accurate.

When I joined the Methodist Church, I vowed, among other things, to faithfully particpate in the ministries of the UMC by my prayers, my presence (I would attend worship), my gifts (I would support the church through my offering), and my service (I would participate in the life of the church in whatever capacity God has called me to serve). As United Methodists, we believe that each and everyone of us is called, in some way, to service.

Other than "my gifts" I can't recall ever being held accountable for the rest of those vows. That, to me, amounts to "calling it in." Or, as Mr. Stewart put it, sending your $50 dollars and clicking "I agree".

hnb said...

I think United Methodism rocks. However, I do believe we are failing to live up to our membership vows (for those who have taken them). And I don't believe that Cheney's daughter would feel welcomed in all of the UM churches unfortunately. Along with a lot of other "types" of people.

I'd like for the media to pick up on the wonderful things United Methodists stand for instead of the things we're in disagreement. I'd like to think we have much more in common than what we disagree on. Time will tell. 2010 is right around the corner.