Sunday, August 01, 2010

political in nature

Generally speaking, progressive types tend to shy away from missions. People happen to view missions and missionaries as the prerogative of “holy rollers” and “Bible thumpers.” Usually people of a conservative persuasion are more thoroughly convinced that others must believe exactly as they in order to obtain eternal life.

Conservative missionaries tend to attract conservative people from the host culture. Those people in turn become even more conservative under the influence of the conservative missionary – or at least they find value and reason behind their conservative views.

This has happened all throughout Eurasia. Baptist missionaries targeted Russia and the former soviet countries after the fall of communism. Thousands of conservative Russians became Christians and quickly fell into the mold of conservative Christianity. But, oddly, the missionaries never made any attempt to enculturate the political views – they simply supplanted American political views. We have thousands of Jerry Fallwell conservatives all around Eurasia. It’s really bizarre.

They aren’t opposed to their own politicians – they dislike Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. Even Christians who don’t speak English know that the KJV is a superior translation of the English Bible. Even after leading Evangelicals dismissed the works and finding of Ron Wyatt, an “archeologist” who managed to “prove” almost all of the Old Testament, Christians in this part of the world still cling to his findings.

Now, I’m rather progressive. As useful as titles are, I’m thoroughly Wesleyan but close enough to Mainline Protestant. I’m conservative enough that people say they can “still work with” me, but liberal enough that I make them uncomfortable when people ask me questions on social issues.

First and foremost I try and learn a lesson from the mistakes others have made. I work hard to remind myself that there is no political viewpoint that is as important as the Gospel message. Missionaries should never convey a political opinion with the same gusto and fervor as they do the good news of Jesus Christ.

When I do discuss politics, I try to offer my viewpoint as one possibility. I try to ask questions and offer feedback. I challenge easy answers as often as they are given. I change the subject when confronted with conversations about American politics.

A good case study is GLBT rights. Eurasian Christians have been taught all of the Jerry Fallwell rhetoric on this issue. They know the Focus on the Family Facts. They know that they do not support gay rights and that GLBT people are not welcome in their churches. But our countries, governments, and cultures are at two very different places on this issue – and our churches should react in two very different ways. In our culture, GLBT people are readily accepted and our churches must deal with how we will show loving acceptance and tolerance without showing that we accept their sin. It’s a high wire act for sure. In Eurasian culture, GLBT people face a living hell. Openly gay people are routinely targets of hate crimes. Lesbians are raped with some regularity by men who feel that they “can turn them straight”. These governments offer no protection (and some former soviet states were still executing homosexuals well into the 1990s!), no rights, and no equality. The churches here face a very different side of the issue and should respond very differently. The church here has an amazing opportunity to be on the forefront of a movement calling for greater human rights for an oppressed minority. But, sadly, we taught them to view the issue through the lens of our American political situation.

Often when discussing politics, I tend to overcompensate.

It disgusts me that missionaries who entered after the Cold War have taught a new generation of Christians that war is good and profitable. This is one “political” topic which I make no bones about sharing. I routinely remind those around me that it is because of my Christian belief that I am strongly opposed to war.
Ultimately I feel that Christian belief should transform the way in which people view politics. We should have the full realization that political thought pales in comparison with the richness of Jesus Christ and is but a small facet of the diamond that is Christianity. A flat side of a diamond can’t cut glass – you need an edge where several sides come together to form a point in order to cut glass. If our religion is really supposed to transform cultures, politics will play a small but important part.

I was having a discussion with a progressive friend here in Ukraine. She asked me if my Christian friends here would accept and welcome her. I would hate to sell my friends short, but I don’t think they would. They have been taught one (extremely-politicized) angle of Christianity and they would probably reject her based on that viewpoint.

As a missionary who happens to be a progressive Christian, I feel a very strong sense of call to reach out to those on the other side of the aisle. I’m here to let progressive people know that Jesus came for them, too. Jesus lived and died for all people, regardless of political persuasion. And the churches we leave behind should follow to Golgotha and also show no regard for political persuasion.

No comments: