Wednesday, February 20, 2013

photo a day: evil

Evil.


This is the worst pizza I've ever had.  I don't get to treat myself to a comfort food so very often, and I almost never just get a pepperoni pizza.  The name of the long peppers on this pizza are "papperoni" peppers in Ukrainian.  I ordered a pepperoni pizza - and this monstrosity is what I got!  I think that in life we tend not to encounter tremendous evils so very often.  We who have enough tend to sidestep those as often as we can.  But, as for me I am confronted by the last dregs of evil in my heart when a simple thing is destroyed.  I waited in line for twenty minutes to pay a utility bill last week.  I only have one day that I am free and that the bank is open.  After twenty minutes, I stepped up to the window - and as she looked into my eyes she smiled and dropped the back in 10 minutes sign.  I asked how long her break would be and she said, "I'll be back in two hours.  Phrases in Russian flooded my mind that I haven't heard or thought of since my days as a high school boy.  In the end I was able to recapture some composure and leave with only a mild temper tantrum (although everyone at the butcher shop agreed that I should have broken the glass and caused a riot when I relayed the story to them - I use a rather lively butcher with a rather diverse clientele.)  It's the small things that remind me most of evil. 

No comments: