Thursday, January 26, 2006

"Al Jazeera has released an audiotape from Osama bin Laden. State Department officials say it shows he's aware of world events. It opens up congratulating Brad and Angelina on their baby." --Jay Leno

You might be thinking right now, "What a random quote." But, in reality this sums up my current reflections on life. One of my favorite things about my college is it's strong mission emphasis. Everyone cares greatly about the rest of the world. When there is a major world event we usually know about it. There are a lot of future missionaries on my campus. If there is a catastrophe in a third world country there is usually someone here who can speak with firsthand knowledge about the country and it's people. I like that a lot.

I am generally discouraged by the normal American attitude. We read a quote in History class from an American Senator that read something to the effect of, "We will work with Shanghai and someday it will rise as high as Kansas City." I'm so tired of Americans who think that our country is somehow better than every other country. We are a country in moral decline, Christianity is faultering amidst our own lust for more stuff, and the Christians that are left are generally content to wallow in money while watching a world full of starving children die. But, hey, at least homosexuals can't get married. This is how we know everyone in America loves Jesus.

Cynical, moi. I know that there are glaring exceptions to the previous paragraph. I know there are a lot of people who love others and are willing to die for the poor and downtrodden. I'm a United Methodist largely for that reason. I feel that they are doing the most good in this world.

No comments: