Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Do you know what the world needs more of? Me. Maybe I could stand on a box and scream my thoughts so everyone can get more of me. No. That would make me look crazy. What? There's a thing on the internet where I can do that and not look crazy? ... and it's called a Blog? I'm there. - Dilbert creator.

I'm 19 years old, a freshman at a really small Christian college, and I want to live for God. I want to pastor a church that has a mission statement like, "A herd of people, all struggling and stumbling in the same direction." I'm upset when churches that see little or no fruit end up with mission statements like, "Our Mission is winning souls to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ through ...." I think our churches need more honesty.

I enjoy Christian community (which happens to be what I consider my church time.) I think that every church should be a big community of faith. People struggling together, being real and honest. It might sound like a pipe dream, but for some strang reason I believe that there's a carpenter from Nazareth that, if left in charge of everything, could accomplish anything- even my personal pipe dream. I live with 3 awesome guys - all at different places in our faith. I want to own a big house and have like 12 Christian guys live there as a true community of believers.

I want to go to Africa and fight AIDS, I want to start a church in a little town outside of Moscow, I want to work with refugees, I want to see churches grow because Christ is using me, and I want to work in the underground church. I don't think I will live long enough to do all of these things ... will you help me?

1 comment:

Pastor Bill said...

Michael - welcome to the dubious world of blogging! Thanks for the comment on the Breakthrough Blog. Great opening line, by the way!! I love it.

Let me recommend a couple of things to you. The book I've been quoting from "Bono in Conversation with Michka Assayas." I don't know whether or not you like U2s music - but you and Bono have similar worldviews - Oh, man, he's got grace figured out, too. But that's for a different post. Anyway, if you're interested, I'll see what I can do about getting a copy to you.

ALSO - Brennan Manning. Your proposed "mission statement" for the church reminded me of his writing. I wish I had encountered him when I was 20. The Ragamuffin Gospel (you may or may not know that from affiliation with Rich Mullins - another great Christian thinker I wish I had more contact with as a young man) and Ruthless Trust are the two that I've read - I can't vouch for the others (though I bet they're just as valuable). If you want an honest view of God's love and our...broken-ness, Manning's your guy. I'll tell you what, his stuff changed my zeitgeist (worldview) a bit...

Keep up the blog - I'll keep checking in. Sorry this is so long (could be a post on one of my own blogs...heh).

Grace and Peace.