Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The pastor from the new church start I hope to work with took me out for lunch today. I'm so excited right now about the potential for the new church. The basic plan is to get small groups going. 10 or 12 groups of 10-12 people. Then in the fall we will gather all of those groups together for worship. The goal is to have 120 people at the first worship service. Worship at Water's Edge will be contemporary, but as the church grows pastor Joe plans on adding a traditional service, and a VERY contemporary service. I will reiterate. I'm very excited about this church. I am sure the biggest thing in need is prayer. The task I am working towards is starting a small group in Gainesville. I don't live, nor have I ever lived in Gainesville. I have some friends from there and am praying that I can make enough contacts to actually get a group going. I'm at the point where I realize that this is literally a physical impossibility apart from God. I have one or two names of people who don't know me. Please pray that in this next month or two enough people to start a small group will gather.

I realize now that if we allow Him to He will call us to amazing things. I've prayed so long for a loving church family ... I found that church family at Toccoa First United Methodist. Now I find that God is asking me to leave that church ... I know that God's plan is a million times better than my own ... but, I am still slightly sad to leave the church where I felt so loved. I know that my new ministry will be even more taxing (on me and my car) than the one I have at Toccoa First, but somehow I know it all fits together for good. I am truly happy today ... just to exist under a God that loves.

1 comment:

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Michael,
I'm so happy for you - and extrememly jealous. I can read the excitement you have for this new opportunity in your posts. Your statement - you didn't want to invite someone to church because the church wasn't being "the church" (the Body of Christ) - okay, I'm paraphrasing - but your observation is dead on. I think that's why more people don't invite others to church - they themselves don't find Jesus there...
Grace and Peace...