Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Breakfast Club for six year olds

We had some down time today in my Kindergarten classroom. We let them work on puzzles, and, upon completion of forementioned puzzles, talk. They just sat around and talked about nothing. They discussed literature. (I must concurr that "The Red Ripe Strawberry" is more enjoyable than"Chica Chica Boom Boom.") They discussed politics (Ricky is the coolest by a majority vote, but that could have been called on day one.)They chatted about current events (Summer school is winding down, even the decorations are being removed.) They talked about life.

We don't do that enough. We don't take enough time to sit and talk. We argue a good bit, yes; but I find that when we do that we don't listen. It's not a discussion. It's so rare to just sit and talk with a person. To say something, listen to his or her response, and reply in kind. It's an oddity. I thinkour churches should have lots of time to just sit and talk. I visited Alma, a friend from my older adult sunday school class, and we talked about our grandmothers for an hour. I'll never answer a Jeopardy question because of what I learned, it won't improve my grades, and I won't win a talent contest as a result of that time - but I grew as a person. I learned a little bit more from where my friend of great faith came.

It's rare for six year olds to be given the chance to just talk during the school day. It's even rarer for adults to choose to make time for the pursuit. It's something I learned from my mother, she made time every Fridayto talk with Althea and Betty. I went along with her every week and listened to their conversations. They talked about everything and nothing. It's so rare - and I think that rarity is reason enough to begin investing. Wanna talk?

No comments: