Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Influenced

The three of us were shopping at the Outlet Malls when the truth came out. We still dress as if our parents dressed us. Inexplicably the fashion choices we make are aligned completely with the clothes our parents dressed us in.

I was dressed in hand-me-downs as a child and today I wear Goodwill and Salvation Army clothes almost exclusively. John was a label whore since childhood. His parents dressed him in Oshkosh –B’gosh (I take pride in the fact that I have no idea how to spell that). On the day we were shopping he was wearing AE and J-Crew. He ALWAYS wears name-brand clothes. Rachel’s parents dressed her in vintage clothes. She was shopping in a green frock with buttons too large for usefulness and brown leggings. All three of us still prescribe to the clothing choices of our parents.

It’s such a simple thing. We never really break free from our influences. Our religion is largely decided by our families, our perception of ourselves is determined by those of whom we love, our favorite foods will always be cooked by mom, and ultimately our career paths will be narrowed by what is socially acceptable.

How can we possible escape? It’s such a defeatist view … we are destined to become our parents. The simplest things will echo throughout our lives.

My mom brushes her teeth three times a day while I’ve never seen my father brush his teeth. I brush mine once a day.


I don’t think we can ever escape the influences of our childhood. I don’t think we can ever get away from them. Maybe we are destined to repeat the mistakes of our parents and grandparents until our lineage is either too messed up to breed any longer or it “normals out.” I’m not holding out too much hope.

No comments: