Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I drove down to Florida this weekend. I had set plans to sleep 8-12 hours every night to try and sleep off this sickness in my body. My plans feel through on Friday night when I found out that Saturday was my grandmother's birthday. Normally, this revelation would have meant a quick phone call on Saturday ... but not this year.

My grandfather drove to Pennsylvania a few days ago. Grandmother felt that she wasn't in good enough health to make the trip. So, Grandfather left her home alone for several days. One of those days happened to be her birthday. My plans changed radically, and through the help and support of my friends I was able to table everything I had to do for the weekend and make the trip to Florida. It was worth it. I know that my Grandmother was happy to see me and glad to not be alone for her birthday.

On the way back I had dinner with several of my Macon friends. It was a really great dinner with really great people. It reminded me again of the need for solid community in the life of the church - and that community in the church does not exclude those outside of the church.

I didn't get the sleep that I needed. I still have my "smoker's cough" but I did find some rest this weekend. Enough to make it through five days of class? We'll see.

No comments: