Thursday, September 20, 2007

If the joy of the Lord is in your heart ... tell your face.

I live in Toccoa, GA. It happens to be the buckle of the Bible Belt. The football team has scripture clearly emblazoned on each t-shirt of every member of the team. If your pick-up truck lacks scripture verses you are most assuredly in cahoots with the devil. If your (KJV) Bible isn't worn rugged you are a "backslider."

There are 64 Southern Baptist churches in my county. My town has 12,000 people and happens to be the only major town in the county. I live in a thoroughly "churched" area. There isn't a single teacher at the Elementary School where I work who doesn't have a church affiliation. Divorce isn't mentioned. Living an "alternative lifestyle" means you go to the bowling alley on Thursdays instead of Tuesdays.

It is in the midst of this culture that I daily find hurting and broken people. The concept of the gospel held by the majority of people in my area leaves little room for the marginalized. Somehow the gospel message has become mainstream. The message of Jesus is no longer about restoring people to a right relationship with God but about big hair, excessive makeup, and showy cars.

It's neither about orthodoxy nor orthopraxy. It's about appearances. Does it look like I'm living the right way? Do I drive out of town for liquor and hookers? Where I live now it isn't about how well you are living out your faith, it's all about how well it looks like you're living out your faith.

There is a disconnect. People don't cuss or drink, but they also show little evidence of a changed heart.

No comments: