Monday, February 04, 2008

We forget that salvation is an act that moves far beyond our finite understanding. The truly salvivic nature of the creator God is seen in both the giving of His son and in the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. In our attempts to categorize this truly mystical experience we effectively reduce the mystery of God’s saving power to fit our feeble minds. We give hurting people the “sinners’ prayer” which I have derided often and openly. We set a date, a time, a moment – we reduce the workings of God in the fullness of our lives to the very second we finished the “amen” of the blessed words.

Sara went to a conservative Southern Baptist church today. She had lunch with the pastor, the father of a friend. When the news of her friend David’s new-found homosexuality came up the pastor told her that he just needs to get saved. Sara explained to the pastor that her friend is already saved and that he loves the Lord. This, obviously, flies in the face of the sacred truths held so firmly by that pastor.

The reductionist view of salvation ponders whether one can lose his or her salvation. It attempts to draw a line between “us” and “them”. It fears Hell and longs for the comfort of Heaven. It puts the good deeds on one side and the misdeeds on another and prays that good has won out. It believes that a sexually active pervert can’t be saved – if he can stay in his sin and still be saved why the hell are we still trying so hard to ward off sin.

If salvation is a moment in time, it is worthless. If salvation is a lifestyle, a holy mystery, a longing and desire it is worth eternity. When salvation becomes the completion of a prayer, a box checked on a card, or the formulaic finishing of a well rehearsed, ritualized system we have reduced God to something we can handle. God is not something we can handle.

Salvation isn’t about the afterlife. Salvation is about life; full and eternal. As a Christian I believe that the fullest way to experience God is through His son, Jesus the Christ. I have walked in a personal relationship with Christ for more than a decade. Most days I live with doubt and fear; all days I live with Christ. I prayed the sinners’ prayer, yes, but I can’t claim that as “the moment of my salvation.” I can’t claim any specific moment. There have been moments(, days, weeks, months) in which I have chosen my selfish, stupid desires over God. These are my moments of salvation.

I came to a realization this week. When we as Christians fall, we fall into the lap of God. I’ve always visualized my failures as a dramatic fall from the palm of God toward the nothingness of Hell. I’ve imagined wrong. When I have fallen, when my sin became so big that I wanted it more than God – I have fallen into His lap. This is part of the mystery; one that I can no longer deny.

Salvation is a journey and a mystery. Come, walk and question with me.

No comments: