Thursday, December 25, 2008

My sister and I read the Gospel lesson for the family service on Christmas eve. Rebecca cried. Rebecca is getting married in two days, so she cries at the drop of a hat, but this was a special cry for a special event. We shared this special story with our congregation because this is a story we share daily with each other and hopefully with the world.

I've been spending time with my best guy friend from High School, Josh. Josh is a carny. He was featured on the news in West Virginia once when they interviewed people about the carnival. He's a bartender during the winter months. When I want to go visit Josh I have to walk into the bar - the sleaziest bar in my hometown - a verboten act of a good Christian boy from a small town.

On Christmas Eve I sang three solos at the Episcopal church. Then I walked to the local bar to invite Josh out to dinner the next night. Then I left the bar and walked to the United Methodist Church where I read the Gospel Lesson. Now, those who heard me sing and read at churches saw the good Christian boy I am. And those who saw me exit the bar on Christmas Eve must have seen something very different. Those who saw me leave the bar, if they even took the time to make an accurate identification, would have seen a very bad boy. Because, what kind of alcoholic, backsliding heathen needs to drink on Christmas Eve?

This is a story we share daily. There's a lot to be found in the birth story. We read it with a hint of sadness, we're so sad that Jesus was born in a filthy stable. But I don't' think the story could work any other way. Mary wasn't turned away from all the inns because they were full - Mary was turned away from all the inns because she was an unwed teenage mother. The people are called back to their hometowns to be registered, and who wants to throw up a sign that reads "This is my family - we are WhiteTrash!" Your long lost cousin comes back to town and he brings his whore of a girlfriend. What kind of good Jewish man brings his pregger, whore girlfriend with him to his hometown?

I don't think the story could work any other way. The angels appear to the shepherds - the lowest of the low in a city that doesn't start out all that high. Jesus is born in a filthy barn.

Pastor David preached on the difference between celebrating Christmas as a day and celebrating Christmas as a lifestyle. Christmas day celebrates like the magi. Gifts, glitter, tinsel a one time occurrence that doesn't change much and doesn't last long. Christmas lifestyle is lived out like the shepherds. When you live for Jesus you will be called to stinking stables and you will meet the lowest of the low. Most days you will have nothing to give, and this has been the hardest lesson for me to learn.

People see the good Christian boy singing in church and reading the eloquent story. People want to see those things. Jesus sees the hurting and broken people. Jesus wants us to see them too. Jesus wants us to share this special story with them.

No comments: