Thursday, April 02, 2009

Theological Thoughts for Thursday

(This post was published while I was in Russia, but I didn't update often, few people read this blog while I was overseas, and I love this post. Enjoy, Michael.)

I think that people have a funny concept of missions. I think it's our fault, really. When we talk at churches we discuss the funny foods we eat, the weird places we visit, and the bizarre customs we entertain. I went to a meat market today and had my picture taken with some pigs heads. It's just the idea ... i'm in a strange place doing strange things ... I'm a missionary.

But ... people are people. People love and hate the same in every language. People fight, and kiss, and love, and fight some more ... here, there, everywhere. People cry at the same parts in the same movies, wearing the same basic clothing. People have the same urges and needs, basically the same ideals of civility, and generally the same sense of morality. We highlight the differences because they are more visible.

Fundamentally, missionaries are those who go into ministry with fresh eyes. We make the mistakes that need to be made that an insider simply can't make. We take risks that everyone already involved knows will fail ... and God shows up. We encourage people to see things with new eyes.

I've lived in Toccoa long enough to learn that Ray is a bum who rides his bike around town and tries to get people to give him money so he can buy liquor. If a missionary came to Toccoa, he or she would have fresh eyes and would be able to see past the bum ... and see a plan that God might have for Ray.

The pastors in Russia see problems, rarely solutions. Don't get me wrong ... there are many problems to see. Few churches own buildings, or if they own a building it is in the name of a pastor or congregant. The church is viewed by many as a cult. But there are so many solutions. In a town of 50,000 people, maybe 300 go to any church. That leaves 49, 700 people without a church home. As a missionary, with fresh eyes, I see solutions.

Sometimes, when I spend too much time in the church building, and not enough time in the community I have vision problems. I desire a missionary heart, but I know that Ray is a bum who will always be a bum. I have vision problems. I just pray that they are not permanent. I pray for fresh settings where I can find my renewed vision and fresh eyes.

No comments: