Thursday, April 23, 2009

Theological Thoughts for Thursday

I held an infant today. He’s six weeks old, but was born premature enough that he still resembles a baby burps-a-lot and weighs as much as a standard issue paper weight. I can’t help but giggle while remembering the experience. His little mouth opening with all his might to let out the biggest little yawn imaginable - his toothless gums flapping on either side of the great canyon. Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m not my sister – I’m not thrown into a frenzy of coveting a baby of my own every time I hear an innocent coo. I’m not like that.

I was, however, thrown into a frenzy of awe at the presence of God being so close.

I’m in season 5 of OZ now. I’m continually amazed at the depth of spiritual conversation that a raw, gritty show allows. The prison psychiatrist is a nun, and she plans to leave the convent because she has lost her faith in God. I’ve been waiting patiently to see how this would play out – would they make a mockery of God or would they show true, honest faith?

The beautiful scene plays out in several parts. In the first she is talking with a prisoner who is special needs. She is evaluating whether his medication is sufficient or if he needs more. He says that he prays every night and the conversation turns spiritual. He talks about his faith – such simple faith as only a truly simple person can possess. He says, “God chooses us, we don’t choose God.” A few scenes later Sister Peter Marie is counseling another inmate. He asks some really difficult questions. She ends the conversation with the simple answer, “God chooses us, we don’t choose God.” She has made her decision – she will stay in the convent.

Such a moving scene, to see an educated “professional” Christian being taught by the simplest of men. As I get closer to graduation, I realize how much I need simple people of simple faith around me.

No comments: