Friday, November 05, 2010

Conversation

I still feel quite strongly that Mara should write a play. She's my theatre critic friend from Riga, Latvia. She's immensely talented, and I can't help but feel that one of her plays will take the world by storm.

We had quite a long conversation once in which I encouraged her to write a play. She said that she felt it was very difficult. "Writing a play is like starting a conversation with a stranger. Except there are 150 strangers and only one conversation."

See! With lines like these in ordinary speech (in her second language!) don't you just long for opening night?

I feel that Mara hit the nail on the head when it comes to all forms of writing. Whether writing a book, a play, a sermon, or a blogpost; the point is to start a conversation with strangers."

I'm genuinely terrified of this prospect. Once I had to stand outside and pass out flyers for an English club I was starting. I was by myself, and I might as well have been dressed in only my underwear. I studdered and stammered. I blushed with every word. I passed out almost one hundred flyers. I started zero conversations and zero people came to the English club.

I envy people who can sit down next to a stranger and start a conversation. My roomate seems to have a date with a different girl every night. He has always met her "on the bus." Now, generally speaking, when I ride the bus I just hold on for dear life and try not to miss my stop or die. I don't really know how he has the time or the cognitive ability to meet new people on any bus here.

I feel that writers must be the most self-absorbed people in the world. I mean, even now I'm typing up my thoughts on writing and I expect people to read it. How selfish is that? I expect people to gloss over the typing and punctuation errors and to find meaning in the words I write. I get disappointed when I realize that someone hasn't been reading my blog who I think should be! How silly is that?

Maybe writing is easier because you don't have to deal with the immediate feedback of the stranger's facial expressions. Maybe that makes it harder.

So, I hope that if we met on a bench or in a crowded city-bus that you wouldn't judge me for my words or think me selfish and vain for feeling that my interuption would be more interesting than your own thoughts.

No comments: