Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I look a little more homeless with each passing day. The stains build up on my hooded sweatshirt. When I was in Poland I visited a friend who wore the same size clothes. I've never really shared clothes with anyone, but he wanted to go out with the same friends on different nights and I only brought (own) one dress outfit. I knew he would be a little embarrassed by my slovenly appearance so I asked to borrow some clothes. I looked good in his designer clothes. But I didn't look like me. Something about the Michael Airgood persona (please, wait in anticipation for the annual third person Christmas letter) just doesn't fit with a piece of cloth that cost $200.

There was something off.

At funerals and weddings I get all dressed up and I feel so wrong.

I tell my mother that I 'm just trying to be more like Jesus and he was homeless. Why can't I try to look like him?

David Sedaris, a humorist, writes an article about looking like a hobo or a bum. He narrows in on the fact that these words have been replaced by sterilized, yet inaccurate, words like "homeless person." A hobo is a person who chooses to be homeless. A world without a mortgage and the constraints of a 9 to 5 job.

I don't know if I'm there yet. But I know that I'm happy. And I think that's what matters most when it comes to fashion and appearance.


Okay, to be fair - some of these stains are from whitewash ... and I just hadn't noticed them yet. But, still, pretty dang homeless.

1 comment:

allcedars said...

You sound proud of your humble clothing. Oxymoron?