Thursday, December 23, 2010

Words matter.

Growing up we used to sing-song, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me."

Now, clearly this is the greatest lie we were taught as children - because words do hurt.

There has recently been a campaign to stop using "The 'I-word' because of it's inherently negative implications. Illegal, is the "I-word" if you missed it ... because I know I did. I had to read the article a few times to catch the reference. To reference immigrants as "illegals" is hurtful.

When I lived in Korea, I constantly heard the Korean words for "foreigner" and "American." It was the tone and the staring that hurt most. Daily I was reminded that there was something shameful about my presence. Being treated poorly didn't make me want to become a stronger member of society.

In Ukraine I am at least given a little dignity - and I work hard to return the favor. I work harder to learn Ukrainian because I know that I will be rewarded for my effort. I adopt many Ukrainian habits and customs because I genuinely enjoy a culture that would welcome and accept me.

The huge part of the immigration problem in America is that we fail to show respect. Our motivation for showing respect is not that they have earned it, but because we are good people. We are better than racist slurs and hurtful comments. Let's work hard so that they will have a reason to work hard. Let's be kind, welcoming, and generous - and let's watch todays illegals become tomorrows productive citizens.

No comments: