Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Photo a day for Lent: Help


Help.

These are my pets.  I promised I wouldn't post pictures of my pets every day, but it is what it is.  

When I picked up Masik, he was a dog on death's door.  He had survived being hit by a car in January.  He lost a paw, and had huge open wounds all over his body.  He had been living on the street, and a dog bite had become infected to the point that he couldn't stand.  After dozens of trips to the vet for x-rays, antibiotics, vaccination, and general care - he is a happy and healthy dog.  I gave him two baths, but the water still ran dark brown, and he smelled so bad.  In the end, his hair had to be cut off to clean out the under-layer of fur and to get rid of the fungi causing the smell.  

Now, it's a funny story because the woman who had been watching Masik when he lived on the street doesn't trust me.  I'm a foreigner, and a human, and for these two reasons I can't be trusted to take care of a dog.  She was disgusted to learn that I was buying him name-brand dog food and made me a list of foods he can eat: porridges, cottage cheese, meat, etc.  During Lent I am fasting from meat, and it makes me sad to see that my dog is eating better than I am!  Masik was skin and bones, and now he is getting a healthy layer of muscle.  She was very upset that I had his hair-cut, but it had to be done for him to be healthy and happy.  


This week Masik was deemed healthy enough to be castrated, and he is recovering from that surgery.  
I know he looks bad right now.  I know he looks naked, and coned, and skinny.  But, this was what had to happen for him to get the help he needed to get the foundation from which he can return to full health and happiness.  
When I walk on the street and children laugh and old women ask me why I'm beating my dog.  I just smile, because each day as I sit with this dog and work or play with him (he is potty trained, can sit, and dance - still working on stay and lie down) I am reminded of Hosea.  I am reminded of the way that God works our lives to represent the truth we need to hear.  
When I took this dog, there was absolutely no reason.  I just woke up one day and knew that I needed to adopt a three legged dog.  My Ukrainian teacher knew all of the shelters and found Masik within a few hours.  We got there just in time to save his life.  
As I look around at my life and ministry, I am so thankful to have Masik by my side, for God to continue to teach me where my help comes from.  God continues to teach me that scars fade, that sometimes things have to look a little worse before they can truly start getting better, that sometimes there is pain in growing and healing and that these things are not bad.  In the end, this dog is one of the happiest, kindest, gentlest dogs I've ever met - and in the end, all will be well with this mut, with my life,and with my ministry.    

Help.


No comments: