Saturday, March 02, 2013

Photo a day for Lent: leave


Leave. 


The average number of people on any public transportation vehicle in Ukraine rivals the attendance at most professional sporting events.  This is the first time I have ever been the only passenger, and it was like this for three stops.  For a while I was paranoid that there was something visibly wrong with the tram or the driver that was keeping people away. (Yesterday, I saw a news item of a tram that crashed into a building - which is rather spectacular considering trams run on tram-tracks.)  But, eventually the tram began filling up.  Every time I leave Lviv, I exit by way of tram.  The tramline to the train station has become my little ritual; the steep incline, the quick turn at Chicken-hut, and the church stop where most people exit.  These are the signs of leaving Lviv.  Of leaving home and going somewhere new and uncomfortable. 

No comments: