Saturday, March 10, 2007

"But there was no prayer in Joel's mind; rather, nothing a net of words could capture, for, with one exception, all his prayers in the past had been simple concrete requests: God give me a bicycle, a knife with seven blade, a box of oil paints. Only how, how, could you say something so indefinite, so meaningless as this: God, let me be loved." - Truman Capote, Other Voices, Other Rooms

The Seby Jones Library at Toccoa Falls College doesn't have any scandalous books. If there isn't a "Christian Reader's Companion Guide" to a book, the book doesn't belong in our library. I have to go to the town's public library to read Maya Angelou, Virginia Woolfe, and Truman Capote.

I've been finding myself up against a wall. I can't decide if I have fallen for the secular/sacred trap or if I can, in any way, rise above it. I listen almost exclusively to christian music, but I feel bad that Christian movies suck so volumiously. I find that I have the truest appreciation for art that focuses on God. But, only if the art deals truthfully with God.

When, in "Fighting the Giants," the protagonist's football team wins states and his wife finally gets pregnant I get pissed off. The crippled father miraculously stands to give his son the final motivation he needs to kick the winning field goal and I both get chills and the sudden urge to vomit. This isn't a truthful portrayal of God. Well, it could be. Yes, God can and occasionally does choose to bless the socks off of a person. But! Suffering builds character, Christianity doesn't guarantee an easy life, Jesus died a painful sinners death without any roses or sequence floating from His cuts, and the rain comes for both the good and the bad.

Truman Capote deals truthfully with the idea of God. The main character in "Other Voices, Other Rooms" doubts very much in God, but prays his wish lists just in case. In "Music for Chameleons" Capote gives an autobiographical interview from one self to the other. Truman answers, when asked if he believes in God, "I believe in nature... (etc)" Truman yells at Truman for lying. (Paraphrase)"But, you do believe in God. You believe very much and want nothing more than to be reconcilled to God, but feel that you can't."

Truman Capote probably wasn't often encouraged to attend church or teach Sunday School. He was "a funny." That's the truthful view of God and Christianity. We serve a God with love overflowing who would send His son to die on a cross to graciously cover all of our sins so that we may be reconciled to God ... and yet we can't find it in ourselves to offer that same grace to "a funny."

I wish that Truman Capote had been a Christian. I wish that someone had offered him the Grace and Forgiveness that only Christ can give. I wish that in his final interview he could have told Truman that he not only believed in God, but love Him with all of his heart.

There isn't a "Christian Reader's Companion Guide" to his work. But, I believe that Christian's would have a fuller understanding of God if they read his work.

1 comment:

Tim Rhodes said...

I couldn't agree more. God uses both Christians and non-Christians alike for good. It seems I learn more about and grow closer to Him, when I'm listening or watching something "non-Christian."

I love Truman Capote.
here's one of my favorite quotes by him: "Tears are shed more often due to answered prayers than unanswered ones." At least I say that knowing I haven't read everything by him, so it's tentative. :-)