Monday, March 12, 2007

I bought a new couch. I paid $150 for it. It's a super-high quality couch that folds into a bed. It's a 1940s style "Klick-Klack" couch. It fits perfectly in my home theatre room (only bachelors and millionaries can have "home theatre rooms") I just can't shake a feeling.

I'm surrounded by poverty stricken people. Not that $150 is a huge amount of money. Not that anything in my house (life) is ostentatious. Not that my car is extravagant. Not that I'm eating steak too often. Not that $150 would feed a lot of people.

I have all these reasons to not feel bad about my purchase. I've spent less than $300 on my house and it's pretty pimped out. I'm frugal and conservative. I'm not in debt.

And yet;

I can't shake this feeling. I have food to eat at every meal. I never go hungry. I have a church family that loves, supports, feeds, nurtures, and guides me. I'm so incredibly blessed by God and His family. There are so many people who exist beyond the walls of the church. There are so many people who don't have enough furniture. There are families who don't have any meat for their children.

I'm just trying to reconcile my purchase of a sofa. How can I reconcile paying $17K a year to go to a private college?

No comments: