Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I'm still trying to figure it out. A man in my Sunday school class handed out $25. He gave everyone in the class a new dollar coin and thanked us for being such a good class to him and his wife over the years. I was still waiting for the teaching moment when he sat down.

Now, there are a few people in my class who are driving cars from the late 90s, but everyone is financially independant. We have very wealthy people. A dollar coin is a drop in the bucket for almost everyone in the class. (Everyone except me!)

I still think about it. What did it mean? Was it one of those truly great teaching moments - one in which the lesson hits you days later?

Maybe it was done to get us thinking about where we are giving our collected money. We spend a lot of our money on ministries to keep ourselves going. Maybe he was trying to show us how silly we look when we spend our tithed money on ourselves instead of the truly poor and needy. A dollar is a kind gesture to a homeless man, but almost a nuissance to a wealthy man.

I'm truly perplexed.

No comments: