Tuesday, March 13, 2007

"I'm stupid enough to think that anyone cares how high my SAT score was ... 1320, by the way." - me.

Mutually Exclusive - I think that's the term I'm looking for, but I can't think of any specific examples.

We try and make everything so confusing in the church. It's easier for us. Do you believe the Bible is the Word of God or do you hate Jesus? Why can't I think the Bible "contains the Word of God" and be madly in love with Jesus.

We have surveys that ask, "did you enjoy our service or desire to become a member?" Yes? No? We make everything so confusing.

"Have you decided wether you are a Calvanist or an Arminiaist?" What? No.

We confuse everthing. We work harder trying to "avoid the appearance of evil" than we work at actually avoiding the evil.

I'm beginning to feel that we miss the boat on a lot of things ... but ... I also think that maybe it's God's way of getting us to walk on water. It's a stupid analogy, really a twisting of words. But - if we miss the boat we are in the water. Well, that's at least one more Christian who isn't in the boat - terrified of the storm and especially terrified of getting out of the boat.

If I had been bold enough to use words where a facial expression sufficed I would have hated myself. There was a crippled black man at my church asking for help. Probably financail, propably for booze. It doesn't matter. I think the pastor told him that he would be right back and then went home. I was working on something. I smiled, pathetically, as I walked by him. If I had been forced to use words those which would have escaped would have been "I'm sorry, I'm too busy doing ministry to talk to you."

I think I want a T-shirt that simple says "Judas" across the front. It's appropriate.

I've spent so much time rationally trying to decipher God that I've missed the boat. I'm not Jesus ... if anything I'm Judas. I'm too stupid to realize that I'm not a genius. I'm too proud of my "ministry" to talk to someone in need. Father forgive me.

No comments: