Monday, May 05, 2008

On Sunday Night I attended the Professor Discussion Night dealing with the topic of homosexuality.

It was one sided, naturally - but at least we are talking about it and speaking out against the "bubba effect" (homophobia). I have one statement to make regarding Queer theology (theological defense of homosexuality as anything other than a sin):

Those who search the scripture in defense of the GLBT lifestyle don't sit down with the idea, "How can I twist scripture to get it to say what I want it to." They begin with the truth that God's Holy Scripture has been used throughout the centuries for evil. They start their search with the understanding that the Bible has been used in the past to support slavery, the crusades, and the abuse of women. They look at scripture and ask, "Has God's word been twisted to the abuse of the gay community?"

And, honestly, I believe it has. I also agree that liberals do twist scripture to support gay rights - but God's word is being blatantly miss used in regards to homosexuality. 9 little verses mixed in with lists of other sins has lead to the outright outcasting of a group of people from the church. I believe the Bible says that homosexuality is wrong - I don't believe it places it in a special category. I don't believe anyone (who gives the issue a fair reading) could say that homosexuality is a "special" sin.

We will be having a movie night at my house (80 Schaefer Ct) This Thursday, May 8th at 8pm. on the topic. Feel free to come on over.

1 comment:

Metal Dan said...

Thanks for hosting us. I highly enjoyed it.