Monday, September 01, 2008

I love reading missionary biographies. David Livingstone, Amy Carmichael, Mother Teresa, Hudson Taylor; I love their stories. It's interesting to note the things the biographer conveniently leaves out. I wonder why they never recall the dark nights of lonely passion. I wonder why the don't record the frustration of doubt: "I'm such a hypocrite, and yet I am to take Your precious good news to the ends of the earth?" I wonder why they record the numerous salvation experiences but leave out the times the missionary found himself or herself in the most unglamorous places; because the missionary call is just as significantly to the party where they're passing out cocaince as it is to Africa and grass huts. They will never write a book about the cocaine party. There isn't a market for records of massive failures in the lives of your favorite spiritual guides.

1 comment:

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Michael - you might be surprised where the missionaries will go. Jim Waker (Hot Metal Bridge) just released a book called "Dirty Word" that seems to talk a bit about what you're saying (hey, I just got it in the mail - I haven't read it yet...)
Bill