Sunday, March 12, 2006

I am having a great time in Kentucky. I love hanging out with my friends at Asbury. I love haning out with my friend Marshall. We realized today that we are very much opposites, but we get along so well. I went to church with my friend Andy. We went to Southland - which is a megachurch- for early worship, and then went to Mt. zion United Methodist - which is a back country church with no running water or microphones.

I enjoyed both sermons a lot. The worship at Southland was very fake and worldly. My friend Marshall told me some things he had disagreed with, and I think if he hadn't done so I would have made the same observations myself.
The rural church was packed. Both pastors are seminary professors who pastor the church without salary. A lot of seminary students go to see how "doing church" small can be effective. It was a very exciting service. They weren't focused on changing the traditions fo the church. The church was growing, but the idea of adding a flushing bathroom is never considered.

Southland has a Starbucks ... Mt. Zion had cookies and coffee for everyone (visitors first, of course). The powerpoint at Southland showed the band and singers bigger than the lyrics ... They sing only 10 or 12 different songs at Mt. Zion, but everyone knows them well enough to sing them with energy.

I began to think that I would be comfortable being a pastor at any sized church. A person could have been so moved to give their life to Christ at either service. That's all that really matters.

No comments: