Friday, February 02, 2007

It's not a magical wardrobe?

It’s not a magical wardrobe.

I was reading the Bible the other day. It wasn’t for a class. This might not be too shocking from most of you, but as a student of the Bible almost every time I touch my Bible it is for an academic pursuit. It’s sad.

I was reading the Bible the other day. I went from verse to verse – all applicable to my life. I was reading obscure Ezekiel passages that were changing my life. I was thrilled to finally be getting something. I even wrote one passage on a big piece of posterboard to hang on my wall. It was exciting.

The next day I went to open up my Bible for another exciting day of Bible Reading. I got nothing. The magic was gone. I opened the door of the wardrobe that had previously revealed a magical land and walked directly into the back wall of the wardrobe.

It was pretty depressing.

I think I’m starting to have a more childlike faith. I can just imagine a little kid hearing all of the theological mumbo jumbo that I hear everyday and I imagine that child yawning and walking away. Is this a bad hermeneutic – probably. But, I’m bored with the whole “theology” thing. I feel silly trying to sort out my personal doctrines. I’m tired of trying to make clear that which God didn’t feel necessary to make clear. Am I a Calvinist or an Arminianist: Arminianist, but it doesn’t matter. I’ve got my doctrinal statements in a row and it hasn’t helped my faith. I have much less faith today than before I started theological pursuits.

I just want to return to having faith. Some days I want the wardrobe to reveal a magical place where I can walk. Most days I run into a wall. I know I shouldn’t treat the Bible like it was magical. That’s probably a sin – I’ll check my concordance and Biblical dictionary.

No comments: