Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Some days I go swimming just to prove that I can't walk on water. I walk around with the thought, "I'm an F-ing Christian, and I can sin if I want to." Those I know who proudly avoid sin at all cost are usually fairly messed up. I'm tired of people's expectations about what a Christian is or isn't and I'm even more tired of people's expectations of what a Christian should and shouldn't do.

Christian's don't drink, smoke, laugh loudly, or have inappropriate thoughts. Unless you're an F-ing Christian, like me. I'm tired of the stereotypes. In the south, "christian" is an adjective. i.e. "This isn't christian of me, but guess who she's sleeping with." I believe that Christian is a noun. That's just the way I was brought up. No, not everyone is a Christian. No, not everyone who goes to church is a Christian. No, not all Christians go to church. No, not all Christians act like everyone else.

I'm still trying to find the balance between avoiding sin at all costs and maintaining an attitude of a blatant sinner. I'm not perfect. I'm not so sure there's much merit in working toward perfection. Where I'm at now is working daily on being more loving. I'm letting God work out the rest. It's still hard, but I don't feel like I'm trying to fit into the rule book.

No comments: