Sunday, February 26, 2006

I have an issue I would like to comment on. It might be best if you came back and read this when you have at least 15 minutes to devote to this.

“. . . Homosexual persons no less than heterosexual persons are individuals of sacred worth. All persons need the ministry and guidance of the church in their struggles for human fulfillment, as well as the spiritual and the emotional care of a fellowship that enables reconciling relationships with God, with others and with self. The United Methodist Church does not condone the practice of homosexuality and considers this practice incompatible with Christian teaching. We affirm that God's grace is available to all and will seek to live together in Christian community. We implore families and the church not to reject or condemn lesbian and gay members and friends. We commit ourselves to being a ministry for and with all persons.” ...

The majority's decision now condones the denial of the fellowship of the church to persons in need of its ministry and guidance who are homosexual. The decision eviscerates our statement that God's grace is available to all and reduces it to an empty platitude. More tragically, the same Judicial Council charged with giving effect to the intent of the enactments of the General Conference has turned a cold and rejecting ear to its plea that families and churches not reject lesbian and gay members and friends. ...

I am greatly concerned about this ruling that my majority colleagues have banded to pronounce. My greater concern is that its pronouncement may be a harbinger of things to come. Will we begin to see cases where membership has been denied based on economic status? Or educational status? Will pastors deny membership to those who do not support all of our Social Principles? Or those who fully support our Social Principles? We all aspire to break the bonds and reject the forces of sin. Nevertheless, we choose a perilous course when even “responsible pastoral judgment” is granted to allow pastors the “discretion” to select among a multitude of sins for which some persons will be refused membership. ...

For all of the foregoing reasons, I vociferously, yet respectfully dissent. Here I stand. I can do no other. So help me God.
Jon R. Gray November 8, 2005

I love how Jon Gray words his comments. I agree entirely.

I was shocked last Novemeber when the Judicial Council of the United Methodist Church came down with the ruling that a pastor may bar a person from membership for their sexual orientation.

Being the only liberal on a campus that is very conservative I am continually asked how I can support homosexuality. It seems that everyone on my campus believes that the Bible has whole chapters on why homosexuality is the worst sin ever.

Here is my basic argument.
1. If we have committed one sin we are guilty of committing all of them. Yes, if you stole a candy bar when you were 7 you are just as guilty as a gay man. You have just as much sin whether you are a lesbian or if you lied to your mother once.

2. Sin itself is a lifestyle. We all try to break free from the bondage of sin -- however, sin remains in all of our lives. I don't like it when I lie or when I lust ... however I do it anyway. Paul writes movingly on this subject - I know what is wrong and I do it anyway. Would you decided that Paul doesn't deserve membership because he struggled with sin that didn't go away.

3. Prevenient Grace. United Methodists believe that God is working in everyone's life so that each person is continually moving closer to accepting Christ. Because we hold this viewpoint we believe that there is no shame in accepting members who are, as of yet, not prepared to accept Christ or change their lives. This is a dangerous position -- but we believe that we give those people an effective Christian witness by accepting and loving them.

4. When Jesus was tempted in the Garden of Gesthemane "the holy Spirit led Him to where he would be tempted." Just as God allowed Satan to tempt Job God will allow us to be led to temptation. Christians so often vociferously deny that God would create people to be Gay ... however I believe that God allows Satan to tempt them with the Sin of homosexuality. It is just another sin to God, one that he abhors - like all others, but still just another sin. It isn't a special sin in God's eyes. It isn't special punishment from God chosen for the worst of sinners.

5. Jesus Christ died for all sinners. There weren't any exceptions. God didn't say - I hate fags and my son won't die for them. That would be proposterous ... and yet we allow our churches to daily set forth that message.

6. It is a preposterous idea that the Christian church which is so filled with sin feels itself righteous enough to point out the sins of others. When we remove the plank from our eyes we can then proceed to help our gay brothers and sisters get their specs out of their eyes. When we get right with God I think we will realize that God would rather have us love than condemn. That is a hard teaching to swallow.

That's all for now. Those are my points. As Jon Gray stated to eloquently "For all of the foregoing reasons, I vociferously, yet respectfully dissent. Here I stand. I can do no other. So help me God."

This is the position that God has most assuredly placed me in. I could rebel against it and sin or follow the teachings of Christ and fight for love and acceptance of those who are different from me.

1 comment:

Pastor Bill said...

Michael,
You never cease to amaze me. You're WAY more conservative than you let on :) You're theology on homosexuality and sin is pretty spot on as far as I'm concerned. God hates sin. Period. God hates my selfishness just as much as someone else's adultery or someone else's lying or homosexuality or whatever. Sin is sin. It's not so much being conservative or liberal - it's more about being self-righteous or taking on the righteousness of Christ (who loved everybody - even when telling them to "go and sin no more"). Isn't it interesting that the one who has the absolute right to condemn sinners is the one who doesn't condemn (check out John 3:17 for that one...)

Anyway, check out this website:
http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/

While the creators of this site seem to be pro-gay marriage/pro-homosexuality (that is to say, they don't think it's sin at all) they make a really good point. Why is it okay to eat shrimp, but it's not okay to be gay? What changed?

Whatever Became of Sin? -- a book by Karl Menninger... So, what happened to sin? We don't want to talk about it...ah, don't get me started...