Thursday, February 02, 2006

I worked my first day at my first job that paid more than minimum wage. I enjoyed working with the children. I work at an elementary school that has a lot of very low income families. Let's just say that few of the rich white children from my church attend this school. I had a really fun time working with the kids. They all have really fun southern accents which I occasionally can't deciver.

My sister told me that she reads my blog. She said she will tell mom to read it also. Now that I have my fan base I can use it to take over the world. Mwa-ha ha ha ha.

Whenever I'm around children I'm reminded of how God sees humans. When these kids were reading things out loud they would often miss whole lines of text, or skip big words, or even skip the small ones. I started to wonder how God is so patient with us. Does he ever think, "Okay, let's try this again. Love God - love people. That's it. That's the whole shabang. Wait, why are you doing that. You can't just skip over the word God. The statement doesn't make sense anymore. Love ... love people. What? Try it again. Ok, that was better, but this time you left out the part about loving people. Try again."

We try over and over again to follow what must be the simplest commands from any religion in the world ... and yet we fail horribly. We don't have to pray 5 times a day. We don't have to starve ourselves for inner peace. We don't need to worship anything made of stone, pray to our anscestors, or use formulaic traditions. We just need to love God and love people. So why is it so hard?

No comments: