Friday, January 16, 2009

I recently joined an Internet site. Kiva is a micro-credit lending institution that connects individuals from around the world to individuals in the emerging world to become a small part of a micro-credit process. I'm still deciding what my first investment should be, but how it works is you look over the profiles of people looking to start new businesses and give $25 toward a loan for that individual. There isn't any interest for the mini-lender, but you are repaid (most of the organizations Kiva works with have almost no loan default) and you get to help an impoverished person or community work out of poverty.



It's a great model, first popularized by Muhammed Yunis who was the 2006 Nobel Peace Laureate. It's a great idea ... if you would like to join, just leave a comment or send me an e-mail and I will send you an invitation.

No comments: