Thursday, January 29, 2009

I've had a very good week as far as ministry is concerned.

On Sunday I gave a mission presentation to my Sunday School class. It's so easy for a missionary presentation to become so fake and so phony. Just the ersatz smile and a video projector flashing images of third-world normality to a sea of gazing eyes - shocked and bewildered that the heathen-savages could live in such squalid surroundings. This was totally different. The people were my friends - who have supported me through thick and thin - who know my many faults and weaknesses and who love me anyway. I showed seven pictures and talked for 45 minutes. I told stories about dear friends ministering in Russia. Everyone enjoyed a good laugh at one point, I was explaining that in Russia the church is seen as a sect and that becoming a Christian is anti-authority - that the Christians in Russia are the rebels. One man piped up, "You fit in just fine then didn't you." It is enjoyable to share the successes and failures of my time overseas with such a close-knit audience.

I taught my small group this morning and gave my testimony at a men's hall prayer meeting tonight. Both were spontaneous and both went well. I'm beginning to connect the bigger picture and to believe that I am gifted for teaching ministries. It's been a very encouraging week.

On this Sunday I will be helping with communion. It's always a privilege and an honor to serve God in the small insignificant moments in life; praying that for just one person that moment would become large and of utmost significance in their life.

No comments: