Monday, January 05, 2009

I saw a woman wearing a Kwanzaa hat. Wikipedia calls it a Kufi. Which is fun. Kwanzaa ended almost a week ago, but the joy of the season still lingers. Wikipedia also begins a paragraph on the Kwanzaa page with "In George W. Bush's 2004 Kwanzaa speech ..." which is also fun.

I was at Shirley's Sole Food Cafe, which is a magical place of feasting delight. I'm pretty sure that Shirley doesn't celebrate Kwanzaa. That wouldn't be her style. Shirley was one of the first black children to go to the elementary school I work at; when they first started integrating the schools in Georgia.

She owns the best place to eat in town, and she also runs a mens and women's homeless shelter. She's a devout Christian who lives her faith out loud. I support her in all of her ministries, but, to me, her biggest ministries is looking across the counter at some of the most racist people and serving them with a smile.

"And they will ask, when did we see you hungry and feed you?"

1 comment:

Tim Rhodes said...

Shirley is pretty amazing. She used to be my school bus driver while in elementary and middle school. At the time she was pretty scary, but looking back she handled thirty screaming brats so well. :-)