Friday, January 02, 2009

I've been watching a non-stop marathon of Family Guy while I clean my house. My house is mostly clean, which is good because I'm most of the way through all 5 seasons that I own. I don't understand why some people don't like this show.

OK, I guess I do understand. In this episode, the Griffin family is staying in a hotel. Peter picks up the Bible and says mockingly, "Hey, look at me. I'm a Christian. I read the Bible."

Now, I understand why people would be offended by this, really I do. But, I think that Christians need to be able to laugh at ourselves. I really think we would all be much happier if we all just took a few minutes to find something to laugh about at our own church or in our own Christian experience.

Maybe it's a showerhead shaped pulpit. (Ok, I tried to find an image of this on the internet for about 15 minutes ... and am utterly shocked that no one has posted a picture of this thing on-line yet. Hopefully Bill will read this and post a pic on his site.)

Most days I think that if I can't laugh at how we live out our Christian faith that I will just collapse under the institution. But, as I find more and more things to laugh at, I also find more reasons for hope.

Like the words spoken beneath the showerhead shaped pulpit.

No comments: