Saturday, December 09, 2006

There’s a lot of change in the air. I’m all moved into my new house. A few friends have graduated. Jon and Ann are married and won’t be needing a chaperone anymore. There’s a lot of change going on.

My church has a contemporary worship service. It is one of the few Methodist churches that I have seen “do” contemporary “right.” The music is always changing with what is popular and it is never stagnant. We aren’t singing songs that were really popular in the 90s. They serve a light breakfast because of the early time slot. The preaching stems from people’s heartfelt needs. It’s a beautiful thing. I’m, deep down, a traditionalist. Although I don’t like dressing up I love singing hymns and would love to see a church that does liturgy with the right level of enthusiasm.

There is one component of worship that I think should be re-evaluated in the traditional service and added to the contemporary. I love the acolytes. I was explaining to a group of charismatics and Baptists what an acolyte did. “They start the service by bringing the light of Christ into the service and they end by leading the processional of the people as they take the light of Christ out into the world. I love that aspect. I love seeing the acolytes lead the procession of people on their way out of church – on their way to take the light of Christ out into the world.

Toccoa First handed out free Hot Chocolate at a recent parade. The hot cocoa doesn’t matter. We went out on the streets and talked to people. We met people – new people. The guys talked with non-Christians about football and the women talked with people who need God’s love about children and the church’s children’s program. The people of First Methodist don’t live in a vacuum. I think that if Falls students went out on the streets we would all return having found 5 Christians and argued with them about the finer points of Calvinism vs. Arminianism. I don’t think we would be able to relate in any real way with “real” people. No one was radically saved on that street corner where we passed out the hot cocoa, but a lot of people were introduced to a new church family and shown the love of Christ in a positive way. We took the light of Christ out into the world. A church full of acolytes.

Ed and Susan invited us to their house. They are both in their forties and really hot. We had a great meal and watched some TV. Ed let me borrow his truck to move. Ed plays ball with his son, leads his son’s boy scout troop, and makes enough money to spoil his son … but doesn’t. Ed makes me want to be a better father to my future son(s).

Jarvis and Sharon lead busy lives. Sharon is no longer employed full time and money is a little tight around their house. They had our small group over and cooked a big Indonesian meal for us. They fit so well together and work together so well. They are both really happy and always praising God. Seeing them makes me want to be a better Christian.

I watched Saved again today. It’s a beautiful movie and it makes so many excellent points about living out the Christian life. It’s a movie about a Christian high school and the drama that ensues. It pokes fun at both fundamentalism and teen movies. I wish their was at least one strong Christian. There are lots of hypocritical people who play Christians on daytime TV … but the movie lacks a strong Christian character. I guess it’s a lot like life for a lot of people. A lot of people lack a true relationship with a strong, loving Christian. A lot of people never come in contact with an acolyte, a person who takes the light of Christ out into the world.

No comments: