Friday, January 05, 2007

Blessed are the meek ... Great. I got nothing on meek. If there was a scale of meekness I would definetly fall at the bottom. I try not to put meek and shy in the same category. I try and remember that meek is often the opposite of prideful.

Christianity too often teaches a pious, self-righteous, and unnervingly narrow view that everything we believe is right and everything they believe is wrong. In my old age (ha) I have become somewhat of a liberal. My reputation often precedes me. I'm cool with it by now.

I just think that not everything is 100% clear in the Bible. I believe that reading the Bible to determine doctrine is faulty logic from the get go. When our churches main purpose for scripture reading is to make clear that which God left vague - well, I hardly think that's the point.

I'm not advocating a moral relativism - I'm just wondering why the precise number of angels on the head of a pin is relevant to people my age who are dying of AIDS. (Yeah, I'm not fighting fair any more - hell, there's a whole dying generation we don't care about) Tony Campolo said "I have three things I'd like to say today. First, while you were sleeping last night, 30,000 kids died of starvation or diseases related to malnutrition. Second, most of you don't give a shit. What's worse is that you're more upset with the fact that I said shit than the fact that 30,000 kids died last night." I love it.

God doesn't want us to pridefully believe that we have all the answers. If God had wanted that for his children the Bible would have been much clearer on every issue. God wants us to be meek. There's something particularly humble about the admission that we don't have all the answers.



On a side note. Michael is having his tonsils removed in a few hours.

No comments: