Thursday, January 11, 2007

New Years Stuff

New Year's Resolutions
This year I'm going to do my (small) part to help the environment (and my pocketbook) by replacing all of the bulbs in my house with compact flourescent bulbs. I figure that I will save $20 or more on my electric bill by replacing my incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. I will also help the environment. I will airdry all of my clothes. This will save me nearly $40 and will help my clothes last longer. I'm also going to turn my heat down a lot at night and sleep with an electric blanket when it is cold.

This year I'm going to begin my life as an adult by putting money aside in a savings account. I have worked on my budget for this year and things look positive. If I can work 8 hours a week at my job and pull an occasional extra hour I will make almost $200 a month. I get $200 a month to pay utilities and food bills. If I can keep my utilites under $100 I will have $300 a month to live off of. My goal is to put aside $2000 by the time I graduate. $1000 for an emergency fund and $1000 to live on for any time between graduation and finding a long term job. I suck at saving money - so ... here's to keeping a resolution.

I like the prospects for this year. I hope to keep my grades up as well.

No comments: