Monday, January 08, 2007

TV lessons

So, following my surgery I have spent several days watching television and recouperating from having my tonsils and my (beautiful) uvula ripped out.

I've learned a few things about the generation I live in from watching the television that I am normally forbidden from viewing. I've watched a lot of MTV, a good bit of comedy central, some infomercials and a lot of Family Guy.

I've learned that deep down people all desire some change, few people really ever love themselves, and most people really do understand that sin is bad and undesirable. I have also learned that the claims and teachings of Christ are largely misrepresented or ... more often ... not presented at all.

Every "good" infomercial has lots of "before and after" photos. People want change. On a lot of dating shows or competion shows beautiful people continually complain about their looks. We can never be satisfied with ourselves if we are in control. There's a new show on MTV where daters are put to a lie detector test. People understand that sin is bad.

So, this is how Christ has been presented.
*On MTV's Real World, the Christian is morally opposed to the homosexual ... but doesn't show much indignation when every housemate comes home drunk and with a different partner every night. As long as that partner has sexual organs of the opposite gender.

*On the Catholic channel, a show had teenagers dressed as knights defending the faith by railing against activist judges. They were all pissed. Those damn hedonistic judges.

* On Moral Orel, Christians are taught to resist anything fun - so the main character takes to hitting himself everytime he is having fun - until he starts enjoying the pain as well. (I didn't learn anything from this - but it's a pretty darn funny show.)

So that's it. Christians are all angry. Christians can't admit their own sin. Christians are selective about sin. Yep. Pretty Accurate.

However, I've seen the good side of Christianity. The one they don't tend to show on TV. I've seen Sunday School classes that reached out in love. I've seen pastors who prayed with and loved on students. I've seen churches come together, full of love, to pay for surgery for poor families. I've seen the love of Christ flowing freely from His church.

There has been some positive aspects of Christianity displayed on TV. DOG the bounty hunter is a fun Christian. He always prays before taking down the bad guy (the F-bomb slips a few times) and often helps people turn their lives around.

I'm up for more positive Christians being portrayed on TV. I pray for my friend Jessica often, because I know she wants to make Christian movies - and I pray that those movies kick butt and present an honest face of Christianity.

So, here's to another 100+ of TV viewing.

No comments: