Monday, January 22, 2007

What would Brian Boitano do? WWBBD? What would Jesus Do? WWJD?

Who came up with the idea for those bracelets? I wore one. It was black. I also had a patch that I ironed on to the back of my pants. It’s an unsettling question. What would Jesus do?

I don’t think he would miraculously intervene for a “special” football team in a championship game. I don’t think he would even miraculously intervene for a “special” or “blessed” country in a war. I don’t think Jesus would hang out in many church circles. I don’t think Jesus would attend Wednesday night suppers at the fellowship hall. I’m not even sure that Jesus would volunteer with the children’s ministry.

I know Jesus would love – even to the point of death. I don’t have that much love … maybe not for anyone.

I know Jesus would forgive. I can’t forgive … I still cringe when I see certain elementary school teachers.

I know Jesus would confront sin. I can’t even do that for my best friends … who am I?

I know Jesus would shake things up. I’m not even tempted to shake up snow globes anymore … let alone the world.

South Park pokes fun at the slogan in its musical/movie. They sing a song about a figure skater who “saves the world.” They are looking for inspiration for battle – and they look to the antithesis of a hero. They want to emulate in battle someone who has never battled.

We ask ourselves what Jesus would do, but I have a feeling that in most cases the would be action of our Savior isn’t something we want to hear. Turn the other cheek, give him your coat as well, walk two miles, and a strong teaching that the rich need to change to get into heaven. That’s not what this world wants to hear. They want a hero who goes into battle and mercilessly slaughters the sinners, who (if enough prayer is offered) will take our school’s team to states, and who will grant our every request. Our Savior is in many ways an anti-hero. How often in movies (unless a direct allegory of Christ) does the hero die mid fight? What kind of leader knows well in advance that someone will betray Him and yet doesn’t stop him?

WWJD? We don’t get the answers we want. The meek and mild Jesus – who ravaged the temple in his righteous fury – just wouldn’t play the game by our rules. He wouldn’t invest in the stock market or take out a $600K loan over a 45 year period at a 16% interest rate. He wouldn’t pick one sin to avoid and let the others slide by.
WWJD? I don’t think we want to really know.

No comments: