Sunday, February 08, 2009

I miss good ol' fashion Disney movies. I'm a Disney Child - they rocked it out and made their best movies from when I was two until I was eight. The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Pocahontas all came out in my early childhood. Considering that in the other 75 years Disney has been making animated features they've managed to produce only a dozen other films that are considered classics.

Jacob Raynor, Emily Hoes, and I watched Aladdin this morning after church while eating pancakes and lying on my king sized bed. It was a magical experience. Although I really enjoy the new animation effects that are possible, I still feel that nothing really compares to the animation from my childhood (or, heck, the animation from 1937s Snow White!) The new media are fun, but I disagree with the notion that every movie needs to be made with impressive computer effects.

I think my favorite current scary movie is The Strangers - and the primary reason is that the movie could have been filled in 1950. The special effects that normally cloud suspense/thriller/horror/other scary movie genres can so often destroy an otherwise brilliant movie. As soon as a scary movie starts using computer graphics and imaging I zone out. It ceases to be scary when it ceases to be real.

On that note, I went to the Mall of Georgia (the largest mall in the South) to finish out the rest of the Best Picture nominees and none of them were playing. Jacob Raynor, Jessica Reis, and I watched Coraline. A really great, really scary children's movie I would recommend for all audiences. Just a tremendous plot that never misses a beat.

No comments: