Thursday, February 05, 2009

Movie Reviews

I'm working my way through the nominees for Best Picture for this year's Academy Awards. I watched Revolutionary Road because I thought it was Kate Winslet's piece that was nominated, but that was in fact The Reader. Oops. I still review it. I will try and watch Frost/Nixon, The Reader, and possibly Slumdog Millionaire before the Oscars. (I've read that the people of India are upset that the movie exploited the Indian slums - and that the word dog is used to reference the slums - but my good friend Hannah Ito says that it is the best movie she has ever seen, so I may watch it.)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

This movie is three hours long, and I was painfully aware of the excessive length. With an interesting premise, excellent make-up/special effects, and some really brilliant moments I can see why this movie is nominated for best picture. However, no best picture movie should feel as long as it really is. Entire sections of the movie could be cut out without losing an ounce of redemptive plot, which is a sad statement. I don't plan on watching this movie again and I will be sadly disappointed if it wins Best Picture.

TCCoBB is nominated for 13 Oscars. It deserves to win 2 but will win at least 4.

Milk

Milk is a truly fascinating movie. Although this movie deals heavily with GLBT issues it is by and large tastefully done. (There are two "sex scenes" one is blurry and the other is cast in dark shadows. I would watch this movie with my parents but would wait until my kids were teenagers before showing them this movie.) That being said, this movie is a must see. The acting is superb, the direction and visual imagery is spectacular, and the plot unbelievably realistic. It seamlessly blends Hollywood cinema and live video footage from the 70s. For those who support the GLBT movement, it is painful to see how little progress has been made since this movie. I was explaining the premise to one adult who said, "Oh, yeah. I remember when that happened. Wasn't that the early nineties?" What little difference 30 years can make.

Milk is nominated for 8 Oscars. It deserves to win 5. It will win 3. This is my bet for Best Picture.

Revolutionary Road

I watched this movie because I thought it was a Best Picture Nominee. It is not. I'm glad I watched this movie. The score is conventional. The plot is interesting. It is an emotionally draining movie, but ultimately a rewarding experience. An excellent period piece that deserves more Oscar nominations than it was awarded.

Revolutionary Road is nominated for 3 Oscars. It deserves to win 1 (Costume Design). It will win 1 (Costume Design).

No comments: