Friday, April 06, 2007

And this is our model of community. Jesus and the twelve seated single file ignoring entirely the other side of the table. John sits to the right of Jesus, who, perhaps flanked also by James, sits peaceably amidst the confusion. Judas, ugly and tainted, leans in for one last look before the betrayal. Jesus, the one amidst the crowd with a clue of the approaching chaos, sits peacefully. This is our model of community. Pick one. Be the betrayer, be the one sidled up against the leader, be the jealous brother trying so desperately to gain Jesus' attention, or be the Christ. Sit peacefully while the world plots your murder.

I lost a friend today. He explained that he couldn't be my friend anymore because I was a heretic. I don't hold to the innerancy of scripture and I don't think that belief in the virgin birth is a necessity for salvation. I'm also open to a lot of different schools of thought (including earthly Jesus / heavenly Christ) in theology - all of which ends with me being a heretic. I won't deny it. Basically, he doubted my salvation and his Bible professors explained that the appropriate course of action was to sever ties. He prayed about it a lot. I'm not angry. I'm sad that he would doubt my salvation ... and I'm sad that he thinks this is the best option.

Jesus ate dinner with Judas on the night of the last supper. Jesus gave Judas communion on the night in question. Jesus had fellowship with his betrayer. If I'm Judas, I want to be with Christ. This is our model of community. I think that Paul got in wrong when he told churches to throw out members living in sin (heretical thought, but I'm okay with a little heresy). I think that Paul was wrong. I think that churches are often wrong when they follow his advice. But, for the sinner, community with those of faith is what encourages him or her to live differently. I understand that when the church was first trying to establish itself this teaching (getting a good reputation) might have been important, but not now. But this is our model of community. Jesus knew that Judas would betray him, but a meal and even the body and blood of Jesus are shared anyway.

No, I'm not doubting my salvation. I've never been so confident of my salvation - I've never been living for Jesus like I am now. I am investing in the lives of those around me. I might think it okay to refer to the Holy Spirit as she, I might not hold to a literal interpretation, and I might read only the Message - but I know where my heart is. I know to whom it belongs. I'm not doubting.

No comments: