Sunday, June 03, 2007

Change.

I find that I strongly dislike stagnation. I prefer change. Daily change; my heart, my life, my routines, my worship, and my passions. If what we are doing isn't working now, why would it work in 5 months, 3 years, or 7 decades? I'm a firm believer in change.

Even of doctrine. I don't think we have all the answers. I can't believe it is ever a fare statement to say that we fully understand God ... so how can we say that we understand what he thinks about everything political? I don't know how God feels about global warming. I have a pretty good idea of how I think he would feel, but I am open to the idea that I could be totally wrong.

I think that Christians need to maintain that attitude about a lot of things. The Bible isn't that specifically clear on too many topics. Any divise issue isn't as clear as either side thinks it is. But, there are things that are clearly laid out. There are 9-26 references to homosexuality in the Bible. There are hundreds of references to tithing and what we do with out money. There are quite possibly thousands of references to love in the Bible. We have churches that, although they stand firmly theoretically on all three issues, in practice only uphold the Bible on one of the issues. We don't tithe, we don't love our enemies (hell, not even our friends). There are so many things that are so clear cut in the Bible that we ignore so that we can continue to argue about the rest.

The Bible speaks over and over again about the need for justice for the poor. However, my sunday school teacher today justified not giving to the poor because Jesus said, "You will always have the poor among you."

So, we take our Bibles and we use what we like, we discard or marginalize what is uncomfortable for us, and we highlight what damns our neighbor to hell. No, I can't say that I am a "Bible Believing Christian" (trademark, copyright). I love the Bible, but I can't figure out which parts I am to marginalize and which parts to highlight.

No comments: