Saturday, June 16, 2007

How incredibly boring it would be if we all agreed. Life would be a catastraphoe if we all held the same thoughts and opinions. I'm glad that people think differently than I do. I'm glad that people hold opinions strongly. It gives me great joy to find brothers and sisters who believe the opposite of my own beliefs but who can still worship beside me.

I would place myself as an Arminian. My mentor is a Calvinist. I'm not opposed to picking sides. I'm opposed to arguing about it. I encourage healthy debate. I encourage people to talk about God and everything about God. I agree with Meredith that this can bring glory to God. But, the knock down, drag out fights I have seen over the debate brought glory to no one. Least of all God. My mentor and I can discuss it in great depth without breaking a sweat. I've seen freshman come to blows over this idea.

I disagree with my pastor, of whom I love dearly, on the issue of infant baptism. We have discussed it in depth, and I realize why he chose to have his baby baptized. I disagree, but because of our discussion I understand his heart. It hasn't changed my mind concerning MY future children, but it has changed my mind concerning his.

I disagree with practically everyone at my school on the issue of gay and lesbian clergy rights. I'm alright with that. I won't argue with anyone about it. I'll explain my position, several times if I have to. I will listen to theirs. But, I won't fight over it. I understand that it is an unfavorable position, and because of this I am more than willing to enter into dialogue with anyone on the topic.

The thing is, I'm alright with the notion that after our dialogue there is a good chance you will still disagree. I don't want people to conform to my own understanding of God and the scriptures, rather I want people to understand and accept WHY I believe as I do. It's not important that you follow suit. It is important that you understand my love for the Savior and accept our differences.

No comments: